Saturday, October 8, 2011

MuteMath.

So, I spent the majority of my Friday night alone, but I'm totally okay with that. I watched a super cute movie with my roommate called 'Play the Game.' Loved it. It's on Netflix Instant Queue, so if you have Netflix, go watch it! Right now! So cute, and clever, and well done.
My new computer came in the morning, and I am just thrilled. It is perfection. GIGANTIC perfection. The screen is so big, it's crazy! I love it though. Anyway, I've been working on this post for a while, because I've been listening to this album non-stop for days and I thought you should hear my thoughts on it.


The Hendrix-y feel of this goodness makes me feel like I would've really liked the 60's.
Do you understand now why I WORSHIP THE GROUND THESE GUYS ROCK ON?

Okay, maybe I should explain why. (When I read a ton of dating blogs, this blog turns into a dating blog; when I listen to tons of music non-stop, like when a band comes out with a new album, it becomes a music review blog... what will I think of next?!)
First of all, Paul Meany's vocals are gorgeous. At times even DREAMY. (Google 'OK' from their Reset EP.) I am a sucker for a man with dreamy pipes. But seriously, as the number of truly talented singers in the public eye dwindles, I can never get enough of voices like Paul's.
Second of all, these guys KNOW their instruments. A lot of them use some super awesome old school/retro/vintage instruments, and they use them masterfully. Their ability to mesh their sounds and create a song is incredible.
Third of all, their lyrics are unbelievable. So rich and powerful, but pretty enough that if you aren't listening to them, you'll still enjoy it. But when you actually listen, they blow you away. (Again, 'OK' from Reset EP.)
Fourth of all, their music videos are FREAKING AWESOME. I feel like anymore music videos are neither clever nor surprising. And they certainly don't showcase the talent of the band. Every single MuteMath music video I have ever seen has made me say, "Wow, that is so cool!" That's rare, especially because they're not super trippy or anything, like some music videos can tend to get.
Fifth and finally, their sound evolves without deviating too heavily from its core. I can listen to a song and be able to tell you which album it's from, just because of how they've evolved, but they're still instantly recognizable as MuteMath, because of their unique sound and style. I have a great deal of respect for bands who can expand and explore new ideas and musical concepts without completely abandoning 'their' sound. I am ALL FOR bands evolving and changing their sound, but a band should not sound completely different from one album to the next. I said EVOLVE, not start from scratch every album.

Odd Soul is one of those evolutions. Paul and the boys pulled deeply from retro influences to bring us this new album, and it is as rich with unique sound and gorgeous lyrics as any of their albums. Most certainly worth any amount of money you may pay for it.

Highlight tracks (for me): Odd Soul, Blood Pressure, Tell Your Heart Heads Up, and Cold Sparks (which is a bonus track, and it is beautiful).

There's a reason MuteMath just refuses to leave my Top Ten (out of a LOT of bands, I have over 100 gigs of music), and Odd Soul just solidifies that reason.

These guys are GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment