Thursday, March 17, 2011

March.

This is a poem my lovely brother wrote about our favorite month, and though there are a few things I would change, I have to say I pretty much agree with everything.
Without further ado, I give thee.....

ODE TO MARCH

Of all the months that I like best,
There is one that stands above the rest.

April is great, with its Masters and all,
How I love watching Phil, when he is striking that ball.

May is alright, though devoid of good sporting events,
At least there is good weather, so I can go camping in my
tents.

June brings the U.S. Open, so it’s not a bummer,
Most joyful of all, it’s the beginning of summer.

July is beastly, with its heat and humidity,
Watching Wimbledon and the Open, I yearn to be in the
British Isles, you see.

August is for baseball, mostly a bore I must say,
At least there is usually a vacation, to take me away.

Then there’s September, with football in full swing,
My, oh my, the joy it doth bring.

October is pretty, as the leaves start to fall,
But it’s also when the Cougars start fumbling the ball.

November used to be filled with anticipation of Holy War,
But now games against the likes of Idaho will simply be a
bore.

December is for bowl games against inferior foe,
Now Vegas will make the Poinsettia Bowl seem low.

January is cold, with winter in full effect,
But at least there is plenty of basketball and bowl games,
on which I can reflect.

February is lame, for the Super Bowl I couldn’t care less,
Greedy owners, over-paid athletes, and lock-outs, my, what a
mess.

But March, oh March, my what a delight,
When cold turns to warm, and darkness to light.

Old man winter, no longer to stay,
Then all my worries seem to flee away.

The flowers and buds seem to burst from their slumbers,
And oh how anxiously I await to hear the bracket numbers.

And then, when that special day is finally here,
Me, myself, and I begin to break into cheer.

Hoping my delusions of grandeur will come true,
For Jimmer, Jax, Dave and his crew.

And now, to park on my couch I must go,
To cheer on my teams against their various foe.

March, oh March, she stands above all the rest,
And here’s to the Cougars as they face their ultimate test.

March, oh March, and all of her history,
Hoping she’ll lead my Cougars to victory!!!

By Eric Stephen Jewell

No comments:

Post a Comment