Saturday, January 29, 2011

Jimmer.

Unless you have been hiding under a rock for the past few months, chances are you've probably heard of a guy named Jimmer Fredette. If you've heard of him, you've probably heard that he's one of the greatest college basketball players in the country right now, and one of the best in BYU history. The kid is crazy. Crazy awesome. He lights up the scoreboard and the crowd every time he plays. And even though he'll never read it, I have a few things I want to say to this soon-to-be legend.
Dear Jimmer,
I love you.
You've only met me once, and I'm sure you don't even know my name.
But that's okay.
Since your arrival at BYU four fateful years ago, I have always known you were different. Originally I just thought you had a super cool name, but the more I watched you play, the more I realized you're unlike anything I've ever seen in my almost 20 years of watching college basketball.
BYU has a history of turning out stars. I mean, hello, Danny Ainge. But even those who don't go on to have storied NBA careers were stars in their time at BYU. Rafael Araujo... Lee Cummard... Trent Plaisted... Okay I will admit these are the only ones I remember. But you and I both know there are more. The Marriott Center is sacred, in a way.
But you? I have never seen anything like you. You are at a different level. Your way of putting up shots that look impossible but somehow get nothing but net. The way you somehow magically dance around your guards and leave them in a daze of "What just happened?"
I'll tell you what just happened. They just got Jimmer'd.
Of course, like all great athletes, you have your fair share of hatred. 99% of the time those haters are just insanely jealous that you don't play for their school, or idiots who think that what conference you play in matters. Need I remind you which conference won the 2011 Rose Bowl?
Anyway, I don't really want to focus on that. I want to focus on how you have made going to BYU worth every penny of tuition I pay.
No, seriously. I have only missed two home games in my entire time as a BYU student. Granted, that's mostly because I am obsessed with BYU athletics to the point that it could be considered extremely irrational, but I will unashamedly admit that watching THE Jimmer make some magic is a huge highlight. Using the word 'magic' may sound corny, but I'm serious - that's the only word I can come up with.
Magic.
And I just have to say, I think everyone needs a little magic in their lives.
Days when all I can think about is money, grades, and getting out of bed in the morning somehow turn into some of the most memorable days of my life. For two short hours every game day, I am completely captivated, and that is something difficult to achieve. So thank you for that.
I don't know where you'll end up. I don't know if you'll go on to be a rockstar (athletically speaking... or maybe not?) or if the doubters are right and all this hype is for nothing. But Jimmer, I have faith in you. I believe in you. I have been waiting so long for something this good to happen to BYU. Just keep believing in yourself, and remember that you have a whole lot of people whose names you also don't know who completely adore you. We can't wait to watch you and this incredible team show the world what we're made of here at BYU. Just don't forget about us.
Good luck, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment